Friday 1 August 2014

I dislike YOLO

I dislike YOLO.

If you're not familiar with YOLO, it stands for "You Only Live Once" and means that you should make the most of your life.  Now as a concept, I do agree - I do believe that you only live once (although I have no argument with those that believe otherwise, I certainly have no proof for my beliefs) and as a result you absolutely should live your life to the fullest.

However, the use of "YOLO" I just find annoying.  It makes me think of a weird mash up of Yoyos and Rolos, and I don't see how a toy that I've never been able to master can really combine with a chocolatey toffee treat.



As a protest, I tend to use YOLO in the most inappropriate situations, for example:

  • Does anyone want a cup of tea?  YOLO!
  • Can you photocopy me this document please? YOLO!
  • I think I need the toilet. YOLO!

And I urge you to do the same.

I'll give a quick update on the Travelling Book project - the funding campaign for the scheme ends in just 3 days, so if you haven't contributed and would like to, get over to our Indiegogo page now and take part!  If you want more information then do go to the website now (which I'd very much appreciate feedback on too) and find out all about the project.  The first Travelling Book has been released into the capable hands of the morning team at BBC Radio Humberside, who kindly let me talk about the project on Thursday, and I'm going to be preparing and releasing all the other books over the next few weeks.  I'm hoping to be able to release somewhere between twenty and twenty five books in total, depending on funds available.  Thanks again to Tim Clark who continues to support the project big style, this time putting quite a serious post on his blog about humanity and how the project could help us understand each other, which it certainly could, and I would hope at least that it has some kind of positive effect.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog