Thursday 16 January 2014

Happy 85th Birthday Popeye!

On January 17th, 1929, Popeye made made his first appearance in the Thimble Theatre cartoon series, by Elzie Segar.  So he's very shortly (as I type this) about to be eighty five years old.

Popeye wasn't always the lead character.  At the start, he was just a supporting character, there to give some of the main characters a boat ride to Dice Island, but due to his popularity with readers he was quickly elevated to become a main, and then the main, character.

I remember Popeye fondly from my childhood - when I was a kid we had four TV channels, and about an hour to an hour and a half of kids shows on a day, to coincide with when children came home from school.  This didn't mean a great deal to me as someone taught at home.

So I would scour the Radio Times for cartoons, and the ultimate - the absolute ultimate - you could hope for was a triple-bill, a whole 15 minutes, of cartoons, and I can only remember this happening once (although I'm sure it happened a lot more than only once).  And it was Popeye cartoons that was shown.

Happy birthday Popeye! Ack ack ack ack ack!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog