Tuesday 24 September 2013

It Lives! (Nearly)

I've almost got my dad's "new" second-hand PC up and running!  I've just got to get Windows installed on it and it should be ready to run.  He's been using a PC that I bought about ten years ago and one that we really can't upgrade any more (AGP graphics card - anyone still got one of them?)

But I've noticed something a little worrying - I'm starting to lose the capability to operate technology.

Now, I am a geek.  This is undeniable.  And I'm somewhat proud of being one (even though, truth be told, I'm not actually that good with computers - I'm not bad, but I could be better)

At the age of four (I think) I had a Sinclair ZX-81 home computer.  After that, a variety of ZX Spectrums. Other computers I have owned include a variety of PCs, from an ancient XT to my current Intel Core 2 Duo (I know, I want an upgrade) beast, Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear, Sega Megadrive, Nintendo Gameboy, I think there was an Videopac console at some point, Playstation 2, Wii, a variety of smartphones and tablets, various other electronic gadgets, I hold two degrees (okay, one is a Foundation Degree) in IT, and various other IT qualifications.

But despite all this, my computer skills seem to be fading.

I haven't changed a toner cartridge for a long time, and I suspect that I wouldn't be able to do it now.  When I say this, yes I could, but I'd have to refer to Google.

Or the manual. (dear god!)

I had major trouble today working a software program that I downloaded, one that I used to use (albeit a few years ago).  It took me quite a while to work out how to operate it, which I'm sure in my younger days I would have figured out in an instant.

Ah well - I'm sure there's lots of useful other information now in my head that's replaced the IT stuff.

Like the best place to get sausages from (Jacksons Butchers in Louth)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog