Sunday 21 September 2014

Football versus American Football - which is better?

For today's post I've linked up with Tim Clark over at Life, Explained, to compare the two sports, with each of us defending our chosen sport.  As a born and bred Englishman I am naturally defending football (aka soccer) whilst Tim champions the American spin-off of Rugby, American Football.

To my mind, it's pretty easy to defend.  Football is so much simpler to play, you don't need multiple layers of armour, or a "gridiron" (which I understand is actually two words, but for some reason the Americans have missed the space in the middle), and you don't even need an egg-shaped ball, the typical round sort (or a soda can at a pinch) will do fine.

And football can be tough, too.  This photo was taken after I took a knee to the face after one enthusiastic game.

Although I tell people that actually I got it by stopping a bus from rolling over a cliff by interjecting my face in the way.

And I think to be honest even the Americans secretly agree, if they don't then why did they manage to do better in World Cup 2014 than England?  Obviously it's because they have significantly increased the level of resources invested in the game, there can't be any other possible reason.

Honest.

I'd like to also signpost you towards my new video supporting football, which includes a number of example football plays, and I think clearly shows why football is the greatest game in the world.  It also involved me getting punched in the face which is well worth a look.


Do leave a comment to say if you agree or not (and why), and do check out Tim's blog on the subject to see which of us makes the better argument.

On me 'ed, son!

2 comments:

  1. American football has never done anything for me. But I don't have a problem that it exists. This is exactly converse to the behavior of many American sports fans, who want to summarily execute me for enjoying soccer. They act as if a person who likes soccer somehow harms their enjoyment of their preferred sport.

    There are exceptions: The cities of Seattle and Portland are incredible soccer cities, and the people there embrace their teams (Sounders and Timbers, respectively). These also happen to be the cities I recommend for visitors from abroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with you - soccer, to be honest, holds not a great deal of appeal for me - I'll sometimes watch the national team play, but beyond that it doesn't do anything for me, but I'm perfectly happy that it, american football, rugby, and any other number of sports exists.

      I like your comment, I've always liked the idea of visiting Seattle should I ever be fortunate to make it over to the US one day!

      Delete

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog