Friday 31 August 2012

What's in a name - and a few websites to entertain you

I got a letter from Stephen Fry!

I sent him a fan letter a few weeks back and got a response, thanking me for my letter and with a bit of text.  It was nice to get (and a nice change from bills), it was unfortunate that he had my first name as Mark instead of Mike but it's something I've got used to!



It's surprising (to me anyway, but to be fair I already know my own name) how often I get Mark instead of Mike.  Sometimes I consider resorting to Michael but it always seems a little formal to me and best suited for when I'm being told off about something.

Anyway, I'm going to mention a few websites for you to check out:

http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/ has quite a few cool tests that you can try out to pass the time.  One of these is "How Many Five Year Olds Could You Take In A Fight" - I took the test and I can take on fifteen five year olds.  If you don't mind though, I think I'd rather not anyway!  And according to "Would You Make A Good Human Shield?" my result is...

56%
Created by OnePlusYou - Free Dating Site

So in the case of war you've got a 56% chance that I won't dive out of the way of the machine gun fire and that the bullets will be stopped by my body.  Hope that comforts people.

Another one is Drinkify.  Drinkify asks you what you're listening to, and then recommends a drink to listen to it with, as well as in many cases playing the music.  It doesn't seem to accept anything but it does accept a hell of a lot of different things - I put in "Felicia Day", who although has sung a few songs (very well) is primarily known as a writer, actress, and producer and it still came up with a suggested drink, albeit missing music.

The last site I'm going to mention is Whatdoestheinternetthink - on this site you type in something and it tells you what the internet thinks of it.  I just typed in cheese, and apparently the internet is very positive about cheese.  For the MLIA folk (another excellent website by the way) Harry Potter is 72.9% positive and 74.2% negative about Twilight - an outstanding win for the wizard over the vampires, I think!

And for completeness, the internet is positive about Felicia Day too.  I feel another letter coming on, hopefully this time if I get a reply it'll be to the right name!

I should point out that a couple of the sites I've mentioned today I became aware of thanks to the Vsauce channel on YouTube, which also gives some fascinating scientific facts (like what would happen if the entire population of Earth jumped at the same time) by a guy called Michael who I presume also got fed up of being called Mark.

Thog

PS Probably no blog tomorrow as I'm out for the day, fingers crossed back on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
familyholidays.co.uk
Paperblog BlogCatalog